Friday, October 28, 2011

All-grain vs. New House


When I told my Husband I was ready to take the next step with him, I was referring to making the transition to all-grain brewing. Little did I know that we would be possibly undertaking a new home purchase. With the all-grain on hold for the time being, I have been focusing my time on finding the right home for us with attention paid to home brew ease when evaluating potential homes. 

House #3 would need a change from an electric stove in the kitchen to a gas stove. (Try cooking a stir-fry on an electric range- impossible! The Chinese in me cringes at the thought.) As this would be the first change we would make (literally, in week 1 of moving in), perhaps we can pick a nice range and stove top that would offer high BTU’s and be able to handle the quick boils of a 10 gallon brew pot? The shiny silver stoves are all the rage right now and they do look nice but I value functionality over all else.  If our stove selection simplifies my brewing process or even allows me to do all-grain in the comfort of my home (instead of outside in the elements), I think that is money well spent. 

House #3 happened to have a fence-mounted bottle opener adjacent to the patio in the backyard. Perhaps that is a sign? Maybe the previous owners just liked soda pop or maybe one was banished out into the backyard to drink? The bottle opener was strategically located where the cooler full of home brew would be placed for backyard soirees. And the storage shed could be replaced with a nice outdoor bar/cabana. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but House #1 and #2 definitely were not home brewer friendly. 

I am first and foremost a wife/mother/home brewer/dancer/dietitian so I need a home that will equally nurture, encourage and allow all these things to happen seamlessly. Now THAT is a tall order! 

幹杯  

-The Beer Dietitian

To hear my latest beer musings, house hunting stories and what I am drinking, follow me on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment